Pages

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Manx Suite

I wrote this suite a while back. I've just realised it's sitting out there on Soundcloud and I don't think I've ever put it on my blog!

It's for piano duet. There are three movements, each based on a famous tune from the Isle of Man. The first takes the tune of the folk song Ellan Vannin - the tragic story of the wreck of a ship of the same name. The second is based on the tune known as The Frog Dance. The third, tongue-in-cheek, is based on the Laxey Wheel song (there is a momentary allusion to Yorkshire, where I live).

This performance is 100% computerised piano, I'm afraid, so nuances are lost. However, I'm posting in the hope that there might be a couple of pianists out there (the score below can be printed out)! It's not difficult to play and it's not yet had a public performance...



7 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

Very hypnotic start to this piece, Dominic - I really hope someone takes up your offer and posts a clip of them playing this. You are a clever sod!

Joanne Noragon said...

Quite an educational foray here. My folk repertoire included none of these songs, so I checked them up after I listened to the suite. I listened to the BeeGee's Manx natives, sing Ellan Vannin; I listened to Anthony Archibald play Stuart Slack's guitar and sing the Laxey Wheel song. Then I found the Laxey Wheel in Wickipedia and learned even more about it. For good measure I went for the Frog Dance, which I didn't believe I'd find, but...in the event you've missed it, please look up the Frog Dance on France got Talent. That frog certainly did. Thank you for the entire suite.

Gwil W said...

Dominic, I like the idea of Yee....ha! (optional). The pillion on highest point of the IOM TT course perhaps!

The Solitary Walker said...

Very nice indeed, Dominic! Did I detect bits of ragtime — and even music hall — in there? And that Frog Dance beats Paul McCartney's Frog Chorus hands down.

George said...

Lovely, Dominic, and both lively and enchanting near the end.

Gwil W said...

At last a chance to listen. And yes it was like the IOM - airy and fairy!

am said...

Finally had a chance to listen to Manx Suite.
I like it. Thanks for posting this.