Monday, 6 May 2013

Local Art Event

This weekend there's been an Art Festival in Leyburn, the small town just down the road from our village. It was designed to coexist with the rather more urbane Food and Drink Festival for which Leyburn has, over the years, become famous. Our friend Denise had a stall there - she also has one online, here (and a facebook page here), so I won't reinvent the wheel by posting grotty flash photos of the stall she had in the marquee (I didn't take any). They wouldn't do it justice.

Of course, I'm biased, as she once painted me alongside my two colleagues when I played in Trio Gitan. I've posted this before. As I probably said then, the hedgehog crept in because my partner, Karen, is famous for  feeding waif and stray hedgehogs:


The blurb for the exhibition talked about a current craze for "pop up" galleries - putting art in spaces such as empty shops and derelict buildings etc. It struck me that the first attempt to do this during the Leyburn Food and Drink Festival was made by my friend Howard and me, eight years ago - an exhibition appropriately titled All the Animals I've ever Eaten. We set it up in an empty shop in the market square. We didn't manage to attract coachloads of punters though - just a trickle of interested folk, just enough to make it worthwhile, looking back. I've just realised that there's a page about it still online, on an old website - where you can still download the wherewithal to build your own centaurpede.

13 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love this picture particularly because it is so very like you, both in stance, red hair and features. She is one talented artist and I am just off to look at her web page.

Joanne Noragon said...

First, thank you for stopping by. How nice of you to leave a comment, and I hope you do have you pancakes, along with eggs and sausage.

I know the physical effort of putting any event together and I applaud the youngsters seeming "pop up" events.

Your friend's art is delightful, thanks for the link to her web page.

The Solitary Walker said...

That's a fun picture, Dominic — very characterful.

Titus said...

I love the picture because it looks like Juliette Greco is just offstage!

I was all excited about the centaurpede until I read the instructions and realised I didn't understand them. Loved the final thing though.

Gwil W said...

You must be one of the UK's most popular musicians, at least on the internet. As today's 100,000th visitor to your old blog (the good news was there in a flash box).

Gwil W said...

Oops I forgot to claim my prize (:-C

John Gray said...

Re weavers comment can we see a comparison photo?

GOAT said...

Nice picture, yes!

'All the Animals You've Ever Eaten'? If you were Korean or Japanese, you'd need a bloody warehouse.

Jenny Woolf said...

Looks as if it was a good show and I am glad there was enough interest to make it worthwhile. I often think artists must have the highest imaginable frustration levels, producing stuff that's interesting and good, and then finding that others pass by...

A Cuban In London said...

I love that picture. I love the originality of it, the fun it conveys and the colours. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Alan Burnett said...

The drawing reminds me of listening to the Trio Gitan in Halifax a couple of years ago - a memorable evening.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everyone!

patteran said...

It's a great picture. Do you use in your publicity?