Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Victor Jara

I was reminded the other day of the Chilean singer-songwriter, Victor Jara. I wondered if there was any footage of him singing on Youtube as I'd heard a lot about him but not, I'm ashamed to say, actually heard him. He's there, I'm pleased to say. Jara was one of the thousands tortured and killed by the Pinochet regime in Chile. In this song On the Way to Work, Jara wrote and sang about how he and his beloved

weave our dreams together,
working at the beginning of a story
without knowing the end.





4 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

When I lived in Madrid as a young thing I had a lot of Chilean friends (exiles - official and unofficial). Jara was such a hero to them... and in fact music as a whole meant so much to them... as a reminder of home, as a symbol of struggle against cruelty and brutishness. Quite something. x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting in the light of this week's report that they are exhuming the body of Pablo Neruda to ascertain whether or not he was actually poisoned by the Pinochet regime.
I listened to Jara - haunting voice I thought. Earlier I was ironing to Christy Moore singing about the International Brigade - how is it that these incredibly cruel times bring out such a wealth of listenable music?

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Yes. Thankyou for this, Dominic.
In these noisy and artifice-loaded times, it's so necessary to remember the quiet integrity of people like Jara.

patteran said...

The most notable of Thatcher's friend's victims. It's good to have the likes of Christy Moore and Dick Gaughan to remind us of what and who are of value in darkening times.