Monday, 15 April 2013

Cwm Croesor


Cwm Croesor is one of my favourite valleys in Wales. I'm not sure why. Sometimes a landscape is just the right shape. Everything there, to my eye, is just as it should be. To the left, Cnicht rears up its pointy head. To the right, the bulky form of Moelwyn Mawr rises up. In between, the sun, falling on trees and slate-fences, casts  intriguing shadows. Every time I go there, there's washing out on a line across the middle of the valley, the sleeves of the shirts waving as if to say "Oi! You with the camera - over 'ere!".
 
And there's an art gallery-cum-café, the Oriel Caffi Croesor. Don't be put off by the fact that they haven't updated the exhibition information on their website recently. It's a great place - the art is as good as the coffee. When we were there the art on display included works by David Pritchard. I'd never heard of him but liked what I saw. I'd like to provide a link to his work but I just can't find it online. There was also a number of pictures by  Sonja Benskin Mesher. I've seen her work before and like it not least because it's never afraid of being experimental. Local artist Bev Dunne also has a number of striking pictures there.









6 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Wonderfully evocative photographs. If images can have lilting Welsh accents, these do. With all that slate and all those wild hills, it could be few other places.

Gwil W said...

Nice report Dominic. I couldn't come to the Bev Dunne link. Maybe it's a problem at my end?

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

AB: Yes, it is a very Welsh place. The Lake District it is not.

GwilW: It should work now. The website I linked to appears to be defunct - but she does blog. The link now takes you there.

Dominic Rivron said...

GwilW: Correction - it's her Bev Dunne Art Community Facebook page.

Gwil W said...

Thanks Dominic. I like the blobs of rain on the painting. It's all very Welsh.

tony said...

Another reminder that I am sadly (& surprisingly ignorant of Wales) Sounds a beautiful place.Lucky Man!