Thursday, 1 November 2012

Good Morning, Good Morning...

This is not my favourite time of year. However, it's also one of my busiest. Somehow I have to charge up my batteries until I feel dynamic and irrepressible. I've taken to throwing back the living room curtains as soon as I get up, breathing in deeply and making the most of that pale blue glow that passes for morning and...


Salutation to the Dawn

Listen to the Salutation of the Dawn! 
Look to this day! For it is life, the very Life of Life. 
In its brief course lie all the varieties and realities of your existence:
The bliss of growth, the glory of action, The splendor of beauty.

For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision; 
But to-day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness
And every to-morrow a vision of hope. 
Look well therefore to this day! Such is the Salutation of the Dawn. 
 
Kalidasa


This hymn from the Rig Veda must have been posted on the internet many times. It probably clings magnetically to the doors of a million refrigerators. And why not. 

4 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

That hymn has been part of my profile since I began on blogger more than seven years ago. I first came across it at my mother-in-law's. Immediately I was blown away by its message. It's succinct, to the point, but at the same time carries a very peculiar lyricism. Typical of Sanskrit texts. I'm so pleased it's your mantra, too. November is not too bad, but then again, I'm biased. It's my birthday month. :-)

Greetings from London.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have never seen it before, but I love it. Goes well with one I read by Hafiz, the Sufi poet -

I caught the happy virus last night
when I was out singing beneath the stars.
It is remarkably contagious -
so kiss me.

Gwil W said...

Mornin' Dominic,

So, it's dawn's "pale blue glow" , and over here it's the lighter shade of grey with icy patches . . .

but I always throw the window open hail rain or shine , ok then I gently ease it ajar

good luck to you!







Gwil W said...

Dominic, thanks for your Hitachi comment, please see my reply over there. You'll be illuminated!