Wednesday, 3 October 2012

A Prelude

it would be wrong to say
nothing's where it should be
I couldn't organise disorder
as effectively as that
no - what you see
reflects a state of mind
some things (not necessarily
the right things) make it
to the top of the pile
others are subsumed
their discovery coming
as a pleasant surprise
seen from the window
by one travelling on
quite a different train of thought

sometimes I think
so much work has gone in
to putting it all together
if (as they say) time is money
and (as I said) what you see
reflects a state of mind
then I have paid a price
for all that I am
don't be fooled
originality here
as everywhere
is merely a matter
of rearrangement

I found a Beethoven Sonata
I still can't play
(proudly inscribed in '76)
underneath an advertisement
for over 50s life insurance
I never followed up
(see what you're looking at
and you'll read my mind
sometimes you'll get it wrong
but rest assured
the evidence is there
you may even get to know me
better than I know myself)

9 comments:

Gwil W said...

I can never find anything when I've tidied up or rearranged but then again there's no such thing as a free lunch as someone once said. Something of a paradox.

Kat Mortensen said...

I'm a very organized person, but you can be as organized as you like, if you are a procrastinator (as I am) with it, you might as well have left it a mess!

I like this poem very much, Dominic.

Kat

Tom Stephenson said...

Well I don't know how relevant this talk of organisation is, but if you feel disorganised, compare yourself to my hero, John Aubrey, and that will make you feel a little better.

The Weaver of Grass said...

You may be interested to hear that I was reading a book the other day (Steinbeck's Travels with Charley since you ask) when the bookmark fell out. It was a photograph of your Dad, me and you (aged 6 months).

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I do not mind the disorder of my 'paper life' that is until I can't find something...but I do like the pleasure of those suprises...

Excellent poem Dominic.

Anna :o]

A Cuban In London said...

I loved you poem (or ode?) to mess. Loved it to bits. I can be either very, very organised, or very, very messy. I go to extremes. My office nowadays is just a dump.

Greetings from London.

tony said...

Good Art Is Always Procrastination Writ Large?

Bambi Zola said...

i love your poem, it got across your message fantasticly for me! i am a terribly messy person which is so annoying sometimes! I am constantly loosing things!

Bambi Zola said...

i love your poem, it got across your message fantasticly for me! i am a terribly messy person which is so annoying sometimes! I am constantly loosing things!