Thursday, 16 August 2012

The Haunted Castle

This morning I've been looking for materials on Youtube for a series of lessons I'm planning to teach next term about 20th century classical music. I thought one way into "atonal" music might be to get a group to create some to fit to a silent horror film - so I started searching for a suitable film.

It doesn't take long to get distracted when searching Youtube! I soon came across this and I decided I just had to post it here. It's the sort of thing I'm looking for - sort of. I'll certainly add it to my list of possibles. I know very little about film and I certainly didn't realise moving films were made as early as 1896, as this was. Pay a 3-minute visit to George Melies' The Haunted Castle and you too will have seen what's widely billed as "the world's first horror film". Make sure you're sat down and, if of a nervous disposition, not alone...




9 comments:

Ruth said...

It's so cool you can find this first film of Méliès's on YouTube. I think I see where those Wizard of Oz flying monkeys came from!

I hope you've watched "Hugo."

Andrew Shields said...

Thanks for the inspiration to spend some time watching GM films on YT! A great way to while away the hours.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Are you intending to give your pupils nightmares???

Tom Stephenson said...

That was great - don't think I've ever seen it before. Bloody good project for your students!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Oh this is so good - I am all a shiver!!

Anna :o]

GOAT said...

I had to watch this without headphones at work, but I don't suppose I missed anything. Great idea of having your students add sound to this.

What a movie! Surely that bat is the most terrifying creature in all of motion picture history!

It would have been nerve-wracking indeed for the actors to film that scene. Can you imagine the director: "OK, cut! And FREEZE! OK, add the skeleton! ACTION! Cut! FREEZE! Remove skeleton!" etc...

Alan Burnett said...

We tend to be so familiar now with such tricks, but you can just imagine what effects it had on that first generation of film watchers

tony said...

Yes I Bet It Caused More Commotion That Modern HD/3D/Computer generated do now.........
Great Idea ,If you do choose it I would love to hear it's soundtrack.

Friko said...

I prefer Doctor Who. It's scarier. :)