Tuesday, 17 July 2012

The Silent Accordion

I was just lamenting the fact that I had not got round to going to visiting two exhibitions while they were on -Edmund Burra in Chichester and Grayson Perry at the British Museum- and thinking that I needed to stir my stumps and get going when I felt the urge. And then I saw this, posted on the blog of the artist, Natalie D'Arbeloff. It's a short film based on an accordion book she's made, entitled Therefore I Am. Sometimes you need to get up and go to see art but sometimes it comes to you. Another accordion-folded book made by Natalie is currently part of an exhibition at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth (see her blog for pictures and details).


Therefore I Am from Natalie d'Arbeloff on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

I do like the idea of a concertina book. I am almost tempted to write one - if only I could draw.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am afraid that my set up means that I can't look at this book Dom - but I have seen many in the past. If you ever feel like making one yourself, there are various books available which give full instructions.

Shadows and Light said...

So simple but so clear.

Rachel Fenton said...

I like the concept of the concertina book - more usually for poetry - all that song - but I like this a lot.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Dominic, thank you very much for the mention and for posting my video.I really appreciate your responses.

May I say to Weaver of Grass that if she can't open this video from the Vimeo link, she might try the different one on my blog:
www.nataliedarbeloff.com/blaugustine.html

Gwil W said...

I enjoyed Natalie's video.

I don't think Natalie has "poor elocution" as she calls it (on her homepage). I think she has a comfortable and most interesting voice, gentle on my much hammered ear drums.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thank you all.

patteran said...

Good to see Natalie's wonderful squeezebox book getting some exposure. She's published the images within a standard book format too. Still wonderfully striking.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everyone!