Sunday, 17 June 2012

The Medicine Sessions

When I posted the other week about Manchester Musicians' Collective I found myself feeling somewhat nostalgic for those days - music that was not just produced to be commercial, music with a risky edge, creative acts enacted for the sake of being creative, artists (of all kinds) following their noses wherever they might be led. Then I find that The Medicine Sessions over in Ireland have  been posting their Youtube videos on Facebook (readers of Vick Guns' Watercats blog will know how they came about). There's definitely more than a whiff of that spirit (among others!) over there. No need for nostalgia. The other day I momentarily regretted that I couldn't just press a button and recreate the musical atmosphere of 1977. Today I similarly regretted that I don't live down the road from this pub...

There are great videos there of poets (Niamh Bagnell, and Peadar O'Donoghue - to name two I'm familiar with) and musicians, such as...

4 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

It does look (and sound) like a great gathering!
x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Why are the Irish so good at making music together like this I wonder? Is it because they are less inhibited than us buttoned-up English? (should that be 'we'?)

Jenny Woolf said...

I think that the Irish seem to have music in their veins!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

RF: It does, doesn't it? I said in the post that I "momentarily" regretted not living down the road from it! I said momentarily because it's no beyond human ingenuity to reproduce the effect, wherever we are. Je ne regrette rien.

WG and JW: Wherever we're from, I think we're all much of a muchness when it comes to such things. This isn't a folk club but Ireland does have a folk tradition, still, I think, which helps. Things can and do happen in England - the Manchester Musicians' Collective happened, for example (see recent post).