Friday, 27 April 2012

Lovely Greens

I was wondering what to write about this evening when it occurred to me that I still had one or two tales from our recent holiday on the Isle of Man to tell.

I always enjoy meeting other people who blog. One lunchtime we met up with Tanya, who writes the Lovely Greens blog - an account of her attempt to lead "a more natural and self-sufficientish life" on the Isle of Man. It's a must read for connoisseurs of Rhubarb wine and would-be beekeepers. She runs a regular stall on the farmers' market at the Tynwald Mills shopping centre in the village of St John's, selling home-made soap, among other things.


*

There are a lot of interesting ancient sites on Man. Meayll Circle is a few minutes walk from the road, close to the top of a hill outside the village of Cregneash, close to the Southern end of the island. At first glance it could be mistaken for a Stonehenge-style stone circle but, in fact, it consists -uniquely- of six pairs of burial chambers arranged in a ring. It was built around 3,500 BC. I had it to myself when I walked up to visit it and take this photograph, which certainly made me think as it's only a few hundred yards from the busy tourist attractions of Cregneash village, the Sound Café and the Calf of Man.  Part of me felt it was a shame for all the visitors who would have been enthralled by the place had they found it, another part glad to have it to myself. 

The buildings in the distance belong to the small town of Port Erin. The landmark you can see on the left is Milner's Tower on Bradda Head. When you look out to sea from this stretch of coast, the Mountains of Mourne can be seen on the horizon. The first time I saw them I was surprised how close  they seemed to be, rising up almost like a mirage.



10 comments:

Titus said...

Ooh, ooh, Meayll Circle! And there was me thinking it was all tt. Where did you get the ferry from?

Elisabeth said...

My husband is off tomorrow on a foraging expedition, a new event here where folks go off locally in search of edible weeds. Your friend's lovely greens remind me of this. It seems such a beautiful place, the Isle of Man. Lovely and green are the right words.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

Titus: Heysham, near Morcambe.

Elisabeth: It is. I intend to go back.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am beginning to want to go to the Isle of Man - you make it sound so interesting.
As for Tanya - well you bought me some of her soap from the market and it is extremely good.

Get Off My Lawn! said...

Lovely. Antiquity and coffee close by.

Marion McCready said...

gorgeous picture, looks like the Outer Hebrides :)

tony said...

And Not a Motor Bike In Sight! Yes I Want To Visit Too! A Coincidence ! Remember I Mentioned My First Visit To Befast? We Went By Ferry From Heysham-Befast.Do they still have that route I wonder?
Have you seen this blog? Interesting !
Nice Meeting Up Today.Lets Repeat!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

WG: Go for it.

GOML: Indeed. A winning combination.

M McC: Don't know about the *Outer* Hebrides, but yes. Come to think of it, it could quite easily have been considered the most Southerly of the Hebrides. Perhaps it is simply a question of nomenclature.

tony: Indeed, it was good. And yes, let's repeat.

Dominic Rivron said...

tony: What an interesting link. And thanks for the plug on your blog!

Tanya @ Lovely Greens said...

I don't think my comment saved last time I saw this! I just wanted to say thanks for the link and that it was lovely meeting you two :) Hope all is well!