Friday, 27 January 2012

So that was a week...

So it's Friday. I never cease to be amazed how quickly weeks can pass by without one noticing. The ways we percieve and reflect on time present, past and future are endlessly fascinating. Viewed from Friday, a week may seem to have flown by, even if days during the week seemed to drag at the time.

It's also sometimes difficult at the end of a week to cast one's mind back to exactly what happened. Of course, there was all the work - but to access that I'd have to click on an icon in my brain that gets given a wide birth on Friday evening.  At lunchtime I dropped into The Station (a local coffee shop-cum-art gallery-cum-cinema) as usual for 20 minutes with a coffee and the Guardian. I read an article in it about the Radio 4 programme, Desert Island Discs. I forgot to put the bin out this morning. I was alerted to the fact by the sound of the bin lorry making off down the road. I could have set off after it, just, in my dressing-gown and wellingtons, dragging our rubbish behind me, but dignity prevented me.  Yesterday we bought a Chinese takeaway.

Wednesday we went out to Henderson's Bistro (up the Dale), not for meal, but because Karen has just sold one of her photographs there - a really nice one of Aysgarth Falls when it froze a while back. Tuesday evening I popped in to see my step-son and wish him a happy birthday. Unlike us, he has an open fire, so I sat down and found it hard to get up again...

Early in the week I finished reading Middlemarch. I'd found it heavy going in the middle but for the last third it was quite a page-turner, I thought. It has certainly found a place on my mental list of  books I really enjoyed reading. Yesterday I started to read a book my daughter gave me for Christmas:  The Quantum Universe by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. (After that it's going to be An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch). In-car listening for the week has been Radiohead's Kid A.

How much of that -even the more significant events- would I have remembered had I not written it all down? Perhaps I should keep a diary - a more systematic record of events than a blog, where I just post things I want to share, or that occur to me. I probably haven't got time to do that - although I probably won't remember what I did in the time I would have spent writing it. The point I'm making is not that I'm concerned for the state of my memory -I'm not- but that even when we're fully functioning, day-to-day events get forgotten (what was I doing first thing Thursday morning, three weeks ago?).

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

You're right Dominic, so many events from our busy days would pass unnoticed unless we wrote them down. It's one of the reasons I blog: to be able to keep up with just a few of the events that are so soon in the past.

It sounds to me as though you had a rich and fulfilling week, despite forgetting to put out your bin. Funny the image that stays with me most is the one you imagined: you running down the street after the rubbish truck in your Wellington's and dressing gown. A wonderful and hilarious image, and despite your dignity refusing to allow to do it in fact, your imagination did. Thanks.

Rachel Fox said...

I've kept diaries (of various types) since I was about 11. They do help with a lot of memory work! I feel odd if I don't write them now.

x

AquaMarina said...

thanks for sharing your week - it made interesting reading and also made me think about keeping a journal - something I struggle to do for a variety of reasons/excuses.....

The Weaver of Grass said...

I'm not sure that it matters whether we remember things or not - I think we remember more than we realise as we assimilate it all into our knowledge bank. We all remember different things anyway - I remember things about your childhood that I am sure you have forgotten and vice versa.
Some of my memories from a very long time ago seem very clear to me and I often dream about them. That does not mean they are accurate though.