Saturday, 31 December 2011

The Poetry of Margery Clute (17)

If you missed the first installment, which provided some background information regarding Margery Clute's poetry, you can read it here.


Upon the Moor

How perilously upon the Moor
The cotton-grasses cling!
While yonder stone stands all alone
Surveying everything;

See overhead the cloudy sky
Brood dark upon the hill
While Autumn winds sigh through the heather
And make it feel chill.

How many moods the Moor subsumes
Can scarcely be expressed!
Now bright, the sun breaks o’er my head
And kindly warms my breast
(A boon indeed! 'Twas getting cold
Beneath my cotton vest).


Margery Clute (1824-76)




Lines Written in 1848

I dreamed of travelling o’er the sea
  To foreign lands unknown,
Aboard a ship, without a chart,
  To where’er it might be blown,

That I might leave this place behind,
  So silent, full of gloom,
A house so full of sadness,
  So redolent of Doom.

Love and sweet companionship
  Have borne me through the years –
Now, they are gone, I am alone
  To face my darkest fears

And sadly, in my watery dreams,
  I’ve found no place to rest,
No land of joy and plenty,
  By Nature’s bounty blessed –

Merely a storm that rages on
  And tears the sails to shreds,
Beneath the low’ring storm-cloud
  Which hovers o’er our heads.

Margery Clute (1824-76)

6 comments:

tony said...

Hi Dominic.Here's Wishing You & Yours A Great New Year.Regards.T.

The Solitary Walker said...

Cat Stevens had his 'Year Of The Cat'. And I feel sure — though perhaps recklessly — that next year will be the 'Year Of The Clute'.

The Solitary Walker said...

Sorrry! Meant Al Stewart, not Cat Stevens. A feline slip.

John Hayes said...

A happy New Year to you & yours, Dominic! & may the New Year not find you in any places "redolent of doom"!

George said...

Once again, I enjoyed these interesting poems of Margery Clute. Thanks for continuing to bring them to my attention, Dominic. May you and your family find great peace, adventure, and happiness in the New Year!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everyone. Happy New Year!