Saturday, 3 December 2011

The Poetry of Margery Clute (13)


Autumn Gales

What thoughts absorb the lofty trees
As in the wind they sway,
As gales roar around them
Like the tide around a quay?

Do they despair of the turbulent air
That wafts them to and fro?
Or do they dance in ecstasy?
How can we ever know?


 Margery Clute (1824-76)



Ode to an Ancient Stone

O Ancient Stone
If thou couldst speak
How thou wouldst groan!
I can no more
My thoughts postpone,
O Ancient Stone.

O Ancient Stone
The birds are flown
That once adorned
That rocky zone
About thy crest.
No more art thou
So fairly blessed!

The wingèd birds
Possess the air
As thou the mossy ground.
They sing a song
Both loud and long;
Thou makest not a sound.

O voiceless Stone!
This song I'll drone
For thee, that all might hear:
As thou wouldst,
Had Nature's art
Fashioned thee an ear!

 Margery Clute (1824-76)

6 comments:

tony said...

On Some Days In The Pennines You Can Hear The Stones Groan!

The Weaver of Grass said...

A stone with an ear? Now that I would like to see.

Gwil W said...

Tony's right. I've heard Arthur's Stone singing on the Gower. It was a heavy still thunder threatening day.

Dominic Rivron said...

tony and Gwil W: I have heard rocks on Tryfan clicking like wires on a pylon. We were just below the summit at the time, moments before a thunderstorm started. A bit scary.

Weaver of Grass: There's always Michaelangelo's David, Rodin's The Thinker, Nelson on Nelson's Column, etc. :)

The Solitary Walker said...

I believe there are also some 'singing' stones on the horseshoe ridge above Derwent reservoir in the Peak District.

Titus said...

I went to a cave in Spain once and the stone sang.

And thank you so much for introducing me to Clute.