Saturday, 12 November 2011

The Poetry of Margery Clute (10)

 If you missed the first installment, which provided some background information regarding Margery Clute's poetry, you can read it here.


The Fireside


'Tis night! The darkness closes in.
Without, the raw wind moans and howls.
I sit enchanted, by the fire,
And listen to the hooting owls.

To-wit to-woo! To-wit to-woo!
I'm pleased I'm in here and not out there,
Where ragged clouds eclipse the stars
And leaves swirl wildly in the air.

The darkness of the sky goes on
And on forever, it seems to me.
If only I could sit beside
This fire, for all eternity

And listen to the roar without
While eating muffins, drinking tea.
I cannot think of anywhere
In all the world I'd rather be.

  Margery Clute (1824-76)

7 comments:

AquaMarina said...

indeed, Margery, winter draws on! ;@)

Rachel Fenton said...

Oh.

Well, indeed, nothing like a nice cup of tea ;)

Jessica Maybury said...

I like this:

The darkness of the sky goes on
And on forever, it seems to me.
If only I could sit beside
This fire, for all eternity

And listen to the roar without
While eating muffins, drinking tea.

It sounds really offhand and kind of modern, doesn't it? Without the kind of stilted formality of other writing from that time period.

The Solitary Walker said...

I'm with Jessica all the way here. The last stanza reminded me of our beloved Sir John Betjeman. Perhaps he was influenced by her? There's a thought.

tony said...

I Would feel better about This Poem Had They Not Taken Out My Fire When They Put In New Central Heating...............

John Hayes said...

Margery here seems to be channeling JRR Tolkein--odd, since he lived so much later! I probably only make the association by being smack dab in the midst of Fellowship of the Ring, but there is something of her sentiment that does suggest it!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everyone!

AquaMarina: It does indeed.

RF: Actually, rarely drink tea here- when I do it's Red Bush.

JM: It does, doesn't it? She does have a very modern way of rambling on.

SW: "Miss Margery Clute, Miss Margery Clute..." There's a thought.

tony: Yes - but it beats shovelling coal.

JH: There's an angle I hadn't thought of. I could imagine a hobbit writing it.

Great book. I reread it now and again. Come to think of it, haven't read it for a while...