Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Of Teddy Bears and Poetry

I've been collecting together the poetry I've written over the past few years, selecting the the stuff I'm reasonably pleased with and weeding out the rest. I've put it all together on a page, here for anyone who'd like to read it. There's a link to it, too, below the blog header, above.

*

I've just been enjoying reading through the blog of Alan Measles - Grayson Perry's teddy bear. I'm seriously tempted to go down to London to see The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman. Whatever Alan's head is stuffed with seems to work better than the grey stuff I've got stuffed between my ears. He says:

Grayson bless him has his ‘art’. He hopes the show will inspire people to take their inner lives more seriously. Seeing world culture through his obsessions and perversities might help people to start out on their own personal pilgrimages and find relics of their own selves laid out before them just as he is coming to realise that the Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman may be a very elaborate inner self portrait.

*

10 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Very good stuff! Mind you, I'm more in tune with the MarmALADE- sandwiches sort of bear.

I'm off to check out your poetry page now.

Kat

The Solitary Walker said...

Thanks for your mail linking to this, Dominic. Very interesting! The kinky sex sounds perhaps marginally more interesting than Christianity - though it's a toss up.

Gerry Snape said...

Dominic ....you darling! thankyou so much for this post...now I can follow Alan Measles and he mate as well!! wonderful!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

KM: Oh HIM. Not heard Alan mention him, for some reason. :)

SW: I'd have thought you'dhave gone for the Marmite.

GS: My thoughts, too. Great, isn't it?

swiss said...

we might be off to that london in a couple fo weeks just to see this grayson perry malarkey (missed it by one day the last time). i'm loving the iron boat!

worth looking at brian sewell's review (not a good one!) not just because he as, as usual, so arch but because he uses the word hobbledehoy. which will always be a winner for me!

John Hayes said...

I am all for blogging teddy bears; & great to have your poems in one place; I'll certainly peruse that page!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am off to read Measles now.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

Swiss: The Sewell review is fascinatingly wide of the mark. I recently stumbled upon a similar article in the Daily Mail online. What really gets their goat? Is it that some people simply can't handle his cross dressing - are, indeed, driven apopleptic by it?

The likes of Sewell usually criticise modern art for it's lack of craftsmanship. In fact, Perry says much the same, that he thinks it's time to make the objects of art rich and interesting again. Are they perhaps angry because he is so good? Because his art challenges notions of maleness, touching a nerve they don't want touched?

JH: Thank you.

WG: Enjoy!

Rachel Fenton said...

Oh, I'm of to read you - but thanks for the other links too :)

patteran said...

Good to see your poems gathered in one place. And I loved the Sewell review. Nobody does asperity like BS.