Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Back from Wales

Just back from 10 internet-free days in Wales. Had a great time, even though it rained a lot. There's no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather, as they say.

Karen took a lot of photographs including this one,taken from the back of the house we stayed in which is on a hill overlooking  Borth y Gest.

Found some interesting places we've never been before, even though we've been going to that area twice a year for about fifteen years, including two medieval houses -Ty Mawr and Penarth Fawr- that are open to the public.

Wrote a poem:

Borth y Gest

it's cold and you can smell
the woodsmoke on the air:
it's late october. the tide is in
and in the blue dusk the sea
laps against the harbour wall.

if you try to feel unworldly
it's easy to fall into the trap
of thinking you're succeeding -
yet when you feel grateful
by the harbour wall you know
it's not as easy as all that
(if indeed it is desirable at all).

We tried to fix up an internet connection but couldn't get it to work which, I thought, turned out to be a good thing. It meant I read more and found time to write stuff other than blog posts! I'm currently ploughing through Iris Murdoch's Nuns and Soldiers. Found two or three good second hand book stalls too. It seems to me that they're harder to find than they used to be these days. I picked up a few books I've not read, including The Crow Road by Iain Banks and Virtual Light by William Gibson (I've never read any William Gibson). I also found a copy of Selected Poems by Edwin Muir which -although I like his poetry- I didn't have.

Being on holiday meant I got time to read the paper. Read a very interesting article in the Guardian by Jeanette Winterson about her childhood.

9 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

I believe the saying is 'there's no such thing as bad weather - just inadequate clothing". Well, that's the one I've seen... attributed to Ted Hughes somewhere (though I imagine other lesser mortals may have said it too).
x

Dominic Rivron said...

Ted Hughes may well have said that - just googled his image to see what variety of coats, etc, he actually wore... :)

The version "There's no such thing as bad weather, only different sorts of good weather" is, I think, attributed to John Ruskin.

thegoatthatwrote.net said...

Nice picture!

Sometimes we need to be forcibly disconnected from...everything, don't we? And then we find that we like it. I always find it a relief not to be checking, say, Facebook every day - and the less you do it, the less you need to do it.

I experience this dilemma nowadays as I prepare for big trips: part of me wants just to disappear completely for a bit, the other feels I need to RECORD and REPORT. The latter part often wins, meaning ever-accumulating gadgetry, and things to charge them...

T'was easier, in some ways, in the days of pen and ink and long waits between reports.

Titus said...

Welcome back!

I live in West Scotland. There is such a thing as bad weather.

Interesting-looking houses - not what I imagined when I read the word 'medieval'. And hooray for fortuitous book-stall finding. That always makes me smile.

Furtheron said...

you went to Wales... and it rained!!! LOL!

My son lives in Aberystwyth - I think if he lives there long enough he'll
a) develop webbed feet
b) create a dialect with 27 different words for rain depending on intensity, angle of attack and amount it bounces back off the ground

:-)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sounds as though you had a marvellous a nd restful time - so glad. That photograph is fantastic - well done to Karen. I will borrow the Iris murdoch when you have read it please. I enjoyed the other two you lent me very much.

the watercats said...

Ooooohhh! The crow road! I really enjoyed that book, it's not really about the mystery, it's very much a story about family. The holiday sounds perfect!

Gwil W said...

My dad often used to recall his boyhood and a "tidal wave" sweeping through his part of Wales if anybody mentioned the Lleyn pensisula, it'd be what we call now a tsunami, I suppose there must have been an undersea earthquake somehere around. Not bad weather exactly but quite devastating I imagine. I read Crow Road many years ago. Can't remember it much but I do know I enjoyed it.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments!

Goat: I know what you mean. I often deliberately don't take a camera to places I like as I know I'll get preoccupied with looking for photos instead of just looking.

Titus: Yes, secondhand book stalls aint what they used to be. Well, not so long ago it seemed like there was twice as many.

Furtheron: Could have been worse. We could have gone to the aptly named Lake District.

WG: You can have it back when I've read it. It's yours!

the watercats: Sounds like I better read it. "It was the day my grandmother exploded..." A promising beginning...

Gwil W: That got me scratching my head. i discovered there was a big earth tremor in Criccieth in 1940: 4.7. Somebody fell down the stairs and died. No mention of big waves, though. I'll try to keep looking into that. I did know German bomber nose-dived into the beach at Pwllheli. I think the crew all baled out.