Thursday, 21 April 2011

Holiday Diary (4): A Poem...

Borth y Gest: Wednesday, 13th April

On the Train

I have picked the pockets
of all my fellow passengers.
They are now incommunicative
while I have a shopping bag
full of mobile phones.

I intend to plant them
on a hillside – watch them grow
into a forest of telephone trees.

In Winter they'll
reach down with their electric roots
deep into the earth
searching for a current
to recharge their batteries.

In Spring they'll
put on an LED display
of digital foliage.

In Summer they'll
greet the sun
with a chorus of ringtones.

In the Autumn their leaves will fall
littering the forest floor
with unobtainable numbers.

8 comments:

The Solitary Walker said...

Re. the last verse about autumn leaves - the future is orange?

the watercats said...

do you know what.. I really enjoyed this poem. it makes me actually enjoy the idea of mobile phones and mobile phone trees would be excellent things indeed. I want at least one in the garden!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Surreal. Clever comment from Robert!

Titus said...

Really liked that.

Gwilym Williams said...

Very engaging.

I will never think of tree rings in the same way again.

Totalfeckineejit said...

That's brilliant Dominic!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everybody.

Perhaps mobile telephone trees will phone all the numbers in their contacts lists saying "Hi! I'm in the forest!"

HyperCRYPTICal said...

This is really very clever! I like it - a lot!

Anna :o]