Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Holiday Diary (3) : Peter Finch

On Tuesday, went to Ynys, a remote stretch of coastline overlooking Portmeirion. We ate our lunch there. The tide was out, leaving pools and shallow channels in the sand. Whenever we stop here I can't help but follow the horizon with my eye, naming the hills: Moel y Gest, Moel Hebog, Yr Wyddfa, Y Liwedd, Glyder Fawr, Glyder Fach, Cnicht, Moelwyn Mawr, Moelwyn Bach...

In the afternoon we went round the coast to Llanbedrog, to the art gallery there. A stone sculpture in the garden made an impression on me, although I've not idea who made it or what it was called. A statue is a stone that looks at you...

In the shop I bought a book of Peter Finch's poetry, Zen Cymru. A great, arresting title that. There is quite a lot of his stuff on Youtube. I chose this, because it's in the book:



In the evening, we went out to to the Sima Tandoori in Porthmadog. One of the best meals of its kind I've ever eaten. The only one that came close was the one I ate the last time we went there.

2 comments:

The Solitary Walker said...

Reminds me of the time we spent a week in a holiday let in Porthmadog. That view of the mountains from the estuary causeway is spectacular, isn't it? I remember climbing Moel y Gest (not that difficult!), then Cnicht later in the week - a really lovely and most shapely peak. There are the relics of some old slate quarries just beyond it which are worth a visit (Rhosydd?)

Dominic Rivron said...

Wheyhey! Another Moel y Gest climber! It's a tremendous little hill, despite it's aerial view of the local supermarket. There's some small-scale but really good, easy scrambling - especially on the Western end of the ridge.

Haven't been to the slate quarries. I'm a sucker for summits. I plan most of my walks around them, and I think -where walking is concerned- it's hard to beat finding yourself on the highest point of a hill. But - I do love the look of the lower level wild places of Wales: the wooded slopes and the rough moorland broken with rocky outcrops. My next post (incorporating the climbing of Cnicht, coincidentally) is about a walk which set out to explore some of them.