Saturday, 29 January 2011

Sweet Sue

Latest Youtube posting. I'm afraid we recycled the slideshow images - apart from Karen's wonderful night photo of us playing, which we've used for the title. As Andy, the violinist, sings when we perform, we thought it was about time we featured his vocals in a recording.

Last night we played at Zeffirelli's in Ambleside. We've played there before and this time we decided to try a new route - the one which Google Maps claimed to be quickest! It took us up to the top of the Kirkstone Pass (I think it might be on the "Coast to Coast", if you're reading this, George) and down the long, steep, winding hill known as The Struggle that leads from the top of the pass directly down to Ambleside - something of a roaring, second-gear white-knuckle ride in a van full of band. On arriving in Ambleside we instantly and unanimously decided that after the gig we'd go back the easy way, on the main road to Keswick. I assume the name "The Struggle" was coined in the days of horses and carts but it's still an apt description.

6 comments:

George said...

Great music, Dominic! I don't remember Kirkstone Pass, but it may have been one of those days in which I was more concerned with getting over the hump than knowing the name of it. From looking at a map, the pass seems near Glenridding and Patterdale, which were clearly on the coast to coast walk. Thanks again for such great music. I love the sound of your trio.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thank you! Kirkstone Pass is the highest point on the road from Patterdale to WIndermere. It's not far from High Street - and I seem to think that's on the route.

The Solitary Walker said...

Great stuff, Dominic! Sorry we couldn't make Hull, but hope to catch up with you sometime somewhere.

The Weaver of Grass said...

My favourite route to the Lakes - along the A66, through the Kirkstone Pass and down the side of Ullswater and then into Ambleside. Better in daylight though I would have thought. Hope the gig went well.

Rachel Fenton said...

That was wonderful - perfect 9am pick-me-up!

I love the names in the Lakes, and the Dales for that matter. Ah, homesick...it'll pass.

Argent said...

Niiiiccee!!