Saturday, 18 December 2010

Star

One for the Poetry Bus, driven this week by The Weaver of Grass.

Coincidentally, I was searching through some science blogs this morning when I came across the Zooniverse Planet Hunters citizen science project. If you follow the instructions, you can sit at your computer and take part in the search for planets around other stars using data from NASA's Kepler mission. Apparently, it can be done with computers but, in some respects, people do it better.

Star

One bright stone in Orion's belt -
it took me by surprise
when I saw it through a break in the clouds

(they were scudding away to the East, driven
by a cold wind that sang through the trees
like the sea) as I sat in the dark.

Had the light been on
I would have seen only myself
reflected in the glass

(perhaps as we read or write
this star's light breaks
through a cloud and someone somewhere


sat in the darkness
sees it there)

18 comments:

patteran said...

The last three stanzas balance simply but strikingly the self-containment of the individual and his speculated counterpart and the vastness in between them. The first of the SETI poems!

Rachel Fox said...

'Had the light been on...' - lovely section.
x

Gwilym Williams said...

The one who sits in the darkness
and sees it there -that's me! In fact I once saw the two moons of Mars with my naked eye.

Totalfeckineejit said...

LOvely poem Doiminic, WEavers prompt seems to be bringing out the best of the romantic in all of us! I love,and have always been fascinated and comforted (when miles from home)by the notion that we all see the same stars. Amazing that things so dstant bring us closer together.

Gordon Mason said...

Great poem Dominic. I really enjoy 'scudding', wonderful word that says it all.

Karen said...

Lovely poem - love the sound of the second stanza particularly.

Rachel Fenton said...

I love the idea of the speaker as the lone star...and the notch on the belt..so much in those lines - really rich imagery.

The Bug said...

We're all the same under the sun - & the stars. Nice form & I love the simple lines with the not so simple thoughts.

Peter Goulding said...

And conversely, would someone from a distant planet see our sun breaking through the clouds and wonder? Love the song of the cold wind...

Helen said...

Reflections in the dark ... beautiful, thought provoking poem.

Kat Mortensen said...

Interesting. You and I are sort of on the same track with this. I love that reflecting in the dark idea. This is a lovely piece.

Kat

Jingle Poetry said...

what a reflective and inventive piece.
beautiful imagery.

Jingle Poetry said...

Greetings!
Here is the end of the year awards 4 you, enjoy!

End of The Year Awards 4 Friends of Jingle or Jingle Poetry Community

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

At this time of the year, We wish you all the best !

Link up a poem to our potluck today, We send blessings all the way to brighten your day!

Niamh B said...

beautiful and imaginative ending to this one.
very enjoyable

Enchanted Oak said...

It's a powerful experience you describe. I have felt that way. The sky is so vast, and distances are so great. Once I was on the phone with a loved one hundreds of miles away, and we were able to go outside and view the same heavenly gift. You captured the mystery here,.

Jinksy said...

Pensive, hence thought provoking.

The Weaver of Grass said...

What I like about this is that it makes one think - it leaves the reader with an idea that is quite profound.

A Fistful Of Moonbeams™ said...

What everybody said...If Whitman and Cummings collaborated this would be it. Thanks for sharing.