Tuesday, 7 December 2010

My Kind of Music(3)

When I was at school, it was fashionable to be into progressive rock: Genesis, Rick Wakeman, et al. I came across the latter's Six Wives of Henry the Eighth in a record shop the other week. That took me back - but, to be honest, none of this music really meant much to me. I tried to get into it, since I had friends who were into it, and I must admit that I still have a nostalgic soft spot for Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, but if I could rewrite my life I must admit I'd have got into Bowie and Roxy Music instead.

The first non-classical music I really got into, thanks to a friend who introduced me to it, was The Velvet Underground. (We were about 19. He and I would sit up all night talking and listening to them, smoking Woodbines. When we ran out of Woodbines, I hate to admit it, we split open the nubs and rolled them. Thank heavens I gave up). I loved the roughness, and the rich, rhythmic drone The Velvets created. At best they make a sound like some huge, electric sitar. And I still like them, despite the fact that Mo Tucker (the drummer) has been seen at Tea Party events. And then there was Nico...

9 comments:

Titus said...

Ooh, me too, me too!

Dominic Rivron said...

Very enigmatic!

Do I take it that you like the Velvets or that you used to roll Woodbine nubs (by 5am we were down to the nubs of the nubs)? :-D

Titus said...

Sorry Dominic, didn't mean to be. The Velvets! Outrageous albums.

There was a greasy spoon in Clifton in Bristol when I was a student that had the greatest jukebox in the world: Venus in Furs/Waiting for The Man on it.

swiss said...

ah yes, the digging about in the ashtray time of night when no shops were open and even if they were you had no money.

and then the velvet underground. years later i went to a spoken word thing with lou reed in central park (around about the new york album i think) and i was still just as excited.

nico, i'm still coming ot terms with. i'm sure i've mentioned it before but i have what's disturbingly between a false memory and a recollection of meeting her very briefly years ago.
was listening to tananore again the other day and still there's nothing quite like it.

Totalfeckineejit said...

I hated Genesis, still hate phil collins.Only got my first Velvet underground album (vinyl)on ebay last year, but I do likes it!Tried smoking at school, but never liked it thank god! I'm bad enough!Never quite understod the appeal, drink enabled you to climb lamposts and talk to girls, smoking just stank and made you cough!

Dominic Rivron said...

Titus: Ah! So, unlike swiss and I, you weren't a nub roller.

swiss: Have to admit I didn't know tananore - I've just got The End (I prefer her cover to the Jim M original - well, they're different anyway) album and the Velvets album with her on. We're discussed her before, I think. I probably said I saw her sing in London. Must have been not long before she died. You probably mentioned probably meeting her... You've got me thinking about the distinction between memory and imagination...

TFE: I went to an all boys school, so talking to girls was only rarely on the agenda. We smoked instead. In fact, smoking was permitted strictly within the confines of the 6th form common room. Thankfully, I can't see that happening these days.

Ann O'Dyne said...

yes of course, The Velvets, but I wish I had not known about Mo's politics. such a pity when external factors affect love of culture (Phil Spector a prime example).

swiss said...

in which case find yourself a copy of camera obscura as soon as possible (if you can't find it i can send you a copy)

Dominic Rivron said...

Ann O'Dyne: It is, isn't it? I try not to let it happen.

swiss: thank you for your kind offer! I might take you up on it - after Christmas, unless I get given a copy. Had a listen to some of it on Youtube. Good stuff.