Sunday, 28 November 2010

One Night

So much to think about, so far to go.
The only image that remains is of
Following the tyre-tracks across the snow.

Cold? Perhaps it was, for all I know.
However, all that matters here is love:
So much to think about, so far to go.

The way was slippery, the going, slow.
This one thing counted: I was on the move,
Following the tyre-tracks across the snow.

The future turned on one event, or so
It felt to me, then, when push came to shove:
So much to think about, so far to go,
Following the tyre-tracks across the snow.

12 comments:

George said...

A lovely poem, Dominic. Reminds me in a way of the Frost poem, "Stopping by the Woods on A Snowy Evening."

Dominic Rivron said...

Thank you. That was quick! I only posted it a few minutes ago.

I don't know the Frost. I'll have to check it out.

tony said...

The Tracks! The Future!But Buy Salt ,Just In Case!

Titus said...

Bravo, Dominic! Lovely writing, rhythm fabulous, subject apposite now and yet that beautiful metaphorical air to it.

And you'll definitely be on Rachel's Christmas card list.

The Solitary Walker said...

A really good villanelle, Dominic. Like George, it reminded me immediately of that Frost poem!

Helen said...

I grew up in the country .. tire tracks in the snow .. what a shame I never followed them.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everyone. I've now read the Frost poem in question, and I can see why people were immediately reminded of it: rhyming know and snow, and that sense of an untold story.

Kat Mortensen said...

This is a shorter villanelle, isn't it? That first line (and its repetitions) have such breadth of meaning. Is it metaphor, or reality? Hmm.

patteran said...

Delightful. The demanding form is well served by content here.

Ann O'Dyne said...

villanelles and Frost are a mystery to me, and knowledge of them is not required to appreciate the triste on your piste
Keep 'em coming.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Hard to make a villanelle sound nice, this is one I likes!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Very Frostish - and he is one of my favourites.