Tuesday, 24 August 2010

The Fall and the Zodiac

Inspired by the River Swale and Roger Deakin, I went off to West Burton Falls last night for a moonlight swim. It's a great place which has evolved to the usual Dales limestone design: a horseshoe of cliffs with a waterfall in the middle,  a Malham Cove in miniature. (OK, so these days there's no waterfall at Malham Cove, but there used to be).

I squirmed into my shorts and old trainers in the car and made off down the muddy path towards the roar of the waterfall. There's a pool at the foot of the falls (which fall not into the pool but onto a stone table at the head of it), just big enough to swim in. It was very cold and there was a moment as I got in when I thought I couldn't face it. Don't be a great wuss, I said to myself and, sure enough, once I was in, the water was lovely. I swam a couple of "lengths" of the pool (more like "widths" of the conventional, indoor kind). I was joined, briefly, by a swooping bat. It was great, swimming under trees, dark water at eye-level.

*

I don't know much about this joint project by Capilla Flamenca (an early music group) and Het Collectief (a contemporary music group). I think I've worked out that it combines early music chosen to relate to the zodiac with pieces from Stockhausen's Tierkreis - 12 short pieces based on aspects of signs of the zodiac, originally written for musical boxes, though often played as chamber music. That's all I can tell you. I like listening to it a lot:

13 comments:

AquaMarina said...

swimming hats off Dominic, you're a hero!

Dave King said...

Excellent - and some darne good visuals as well.

Totalfeckineejit said...

You crazee man! I like the cut of yer gib!

Niamh B said...

Am with TFE, ya lunatic, it does sound terrific though. (jealous really)

John Hayes said...

Loved the music! as for the swimming, I also vote with TFE.

The Weaver of Grass said...

This is his mother speaking - Mad, bad and dangerous to do is my opinion! But I know him well enough to know that he will do it if he decides to do it.

Ann O'Dyne said...

... to the BAT Pool!

Jessica Maybury said...

woww that swim sounds great! I went on a midnight swim once years ago off a beach with loads of other people, and there was a mist over the water which was magical

Jinksy said...

You sent me on a merry musical trail after Capilla Flamenca this aftereoon. Thanks! I had a lovely time, which ended up with Peyote Indian music - don't ask me how...

patteran said...

As a terminal wuss, I'm lost in admiration!

Poet in Residence said...

They say, Dominic, that there was a time perhaps thousands of years ago when that Malham Cove waterfall was as big as the Niagra Falls is today. I can imagine that it could have been so.

Poet in Residence said...

Dominic you've inspired an old man. This morning I plunged into the Dechant Lacke (it's a small lake in the Lobau National Park on the Danube) and I swam to the island in the middle and round it and back to the shore. An autumnal bloom over everything and here and there small yellow leaves flating on the surface, dragonflies darting in the air, long fronds slowly flailing below the surface and below them ghostly giant carp cruising by. Afterwards dried-off in the sun. Dominic, it was exhilerating, particularly as I'd forgotten my swimming trunks. Many thanks!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks fro these comments, everybody. One specific:

PiR: Great to hear of your cheeky exploit!