Saturday, 24 April 2010

What a Weekend...

What a strange weekend. Well, I'm not sure strange is the right word. I got bitten by an insect on the side of my chest the other day and it turned into a huge, red swelling. I finally went to see a doctor with it on Friday night - possibly Lyme Disease, she thought. Lots of antibiotics. Today I seemed to be getting worse, not better. The rash was spreading and I was getting iller and iller: I obviously had a temperature. Finally, I collapsed in the bathroom - my legs just went wobbly and wouldn't hold me up. I crawled to bed. The doctor was called again. Possibly not Lyme Disease. Wrong antibiotics, he decided. He changed my medication and now I'm actually beginning to feel better.

If that wasn't enough, somebody shot one of our cats. Sinbad has survived, but has a badly broken leg, some shattered bone and a bullet lodged somewhere inside him. It looks like he's going to have to have his leg amputated. He's currently at the vet's on a drip. Fortunately, he's young and strong, so there's a good chance he'll get over it.

Oh well, non illegitimi te carborundum. Another Albert Giraud poem from Pierrot Lunaire. I've had to stay up a bit to get another antibiotic in before I go to bed, so I've passed the time translating this:

Pierrot the Dandy

A fantastic ray of moonlight
illuminates the crystal bottles
on the sandalwood wash-stand
of the pale dandy of Bergamo.

The fountain laughs in its bowl
with a clear, metallic sound.
A fantastic ray of moonlight
illuminates the crystal bottles.

But the master of the white face
Sets aside the red, vegetable dye
and the oriental green mascara
when he creates his strange mask
from a fantastic ray of moonlight.


10 comments:

swiss said...

i wouldn't have gone for lyme disease with that description! lol
glad you're feeling better tho i wouldn't be shy about a second opinion if not. and don't be hanging about with it if you're having a speed wobble as described

i got bitten some years back by some dirty insect thing and got a massive chest wall abcess (which i foolishly suggested to my gp might be an idea to aspirate! ouch - very!) that eventually broke down into a couple of unpleasing sores.

the scars make for great stories (i.e lies) tho!

Karen said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. A friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse spider and nearly lost his foot. Let's hope you have a good and speedy recovery! The bus is revved and ready to go.

Elisabeth said...

It all sounds dreadful, Dominic and yet you can be cheerful, stoical and poetic to boot.

I hope both you and your cat recover well and quickly.

An animal bit you and a human I presume shot your cat. What a reversal.

Rachel Fox said...

I see your world is having a week like mine...
x

Joanne said...

Sounds like a likely case of Lyme Disease to me. I suggest you get very well informed by reading ILADS guidelines found at www.ilads.org

As to feeling worse on antibiotics you will find that can be a Herx reaction commonly mistaken by doctors as an allergy to the antibiotics , it is in fact the toxins created by die off of the infection.

So so very much to read to protect yourself. Such as the doses commonly given are only half the necessary strength and need to be 6-8 weeks due to replication being about 4 weekly with Lyme.

Good luck that you get adewquate treatment and don't end up like so many others including myself with years of chronic ill health.

Argent said...

Youch! Came here to do your poem linky and got caught up in this. I can't tell you all the horrid things I'd like to do to people who shoot animals for fun. Hope sinbad gets better. And you also, hope you get better too. That translated poem was lovely, poerty is I think a real challenge to translate "The fountain laughs in its bowl/with a clear, metallic sound. Lovely."

Titus said...

Oh Dominic, I hope you're feeling better soon, and I hope that Sinbad recovers well enough to enjoy his remaining eight lives. Who the hell would shoot a cat?

I enjoyed the translation.

John Hayes said...

So sorry to hear about both of those things--re: Karen's comment, it does sound like a spider bite somewhat. The important thing is it's being treated--properly, we hope. The incident with the cat must be quite upsetting. But the poem is beautiful--love the fountain singing in its bowl.

Poetikat said...

Oh, Dominic! Sorry I missed the lowdown on all these trials. You must really have been feeling miserable. I'm so glad you're getting back on track now.

What a horrible thing to happen to poor Sinbad! I saw the next picture first, so I'm pleased to see he's recuperating, but what a terrible loss for the poor boy!

I would be very bad in that situation - I'm afraid I couldn't keep my counsel to myself regarding the kids with the guns.

Kat

Poet in Residence said...

Hello Dominic,
And a belated get well soon. Some years ago, cycling holiday in Wales, when an insect flew down the front of my shirt and bit me several times on my chest. It was painful for ages. Even now I get a mildly irritating skin reaction from time to time. Sorry for your cat. But what a great name - Sinbad!