Sunday, 4 April 2010

An Answer

One for the Poetry Bus as driven this week by swiss. This would normally not need to be said, but in these circumstances I should stress that the question the poem answers (which is left to the readers imagination) is not the challenge itself!


An Answer

An odd question: obviously not
if you mean by it what I think you mean.

Crows calling through the morning fog.
Yesterday, walking in the rain, soaked through.

Last night I slept very little,
thinking of the wretched beasties,

honing my mental arithmetic
on the rings of Saturn,

craving a spoonful of honey.
What more can I say?

Odd? More like damnfool
the more I think about it.





12 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hm - very profound - not sure I understand it, but nevertheless I like it.

swiss said...

what she said! i like wretched beasties!

Titus said...

What they said!
I like answer poems with two question marks in them.

Emerging Writer said...

What they say. Odd. I like odd.

crazyfieldmouse said...

deliberately enigmatic:-) and I like it.
scary beasties, like the way the scientist assumed they were 'happy'? strange to apply such emotion to micro-organisms.
thanks for sharing
cfm

Jeanne Iris said...

Ah, lately, I too have been 'craving that spoonful of honey." Simply stated answer to the profound question.

Poetikat said...

I think I know where your head was with this. You certainly have an immense capacity for delving into the most incredible things, Dominic.
This is thought-provoking, mysterious and exceedingly well-crafted.

Kat

Peter Goulding said...

I'm going to wait until a few more people have commented, Dominic, and then say something non-committal, like 'thought-provoking' because I truly have no idea what this poem is about. (Sorry)

Pure Fiction said...

Liked the wretched beasties - reminds me for some reason of Miss Smilla's feeling for snow. I got a bit lost after them, tho.

Argent said...

Liked it - mysterioso, more evocative than explicit I tihnk (which is my way of saying I'm none to sure what it's about) but I do like the images.

Poet in Residence said...

Inspired by a visit here, I've today started: 'Off Zenter'.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for all these comments!

The starting point was Swiss' microscope photo. The early microscopist Antonie van Leeuwenhoek described his first sight of microscopic life as looking like "wretched beasties".

The question the poem answered was...

Must go! I'm using a computer in a public library as I can't get to our laptop at the moment. Times up! :)