Saturday, 20 February 2010

The French Connection


This is a copy of a document held at The Tuileries in Paris. The Nicholas Rivron it refers to is believed to be the father of Jean Rivron, the subject of last week's post. It reads:

Louis, by the Grace of God, King of France and of Navarre, according to the report which has been sent to us, of the devotion and loyalty of which Monsieur Nicholas Rivron, Game Keeper of the community of Louroux, Loire Inferieure, has given us evidence by fighting bravely with our Royal Armies of the West; wishing to testify to Monsieur Rivron the satisfaction with which we approve his services, and to give him a token by which his services may be remembered by his family, we have decided to present him with this document, signed by our hand, as a token of our royal esteem.


Given at the Chateau of Tuileries on the 11th day of July 1817 and in the 23rd year of our reign.

Louis.

The Louis in question is Louis XVIII. It is interesting that his estimate of the length of his reign ignores the reigns of the Emporors Napoleon I and II, and neither my maths nor my knowledge of French history are up to making the figures add up. Louis only became de facto king in 1814.

This is a Sepia Saturday post.

21 comments:

Poetikat said...

That is an auspicious connection.
Interesting that Louis would expand upon the duration of HIS reign like that. Who would dare to argue though when the guillotine was so close at hand?

Poet in Residence said...

Dominic, by coincidence (as a way of keeping my sanity whilst deveouring Finnegan up to p140-ish, I'm also reading Marie-Therese by Susan Nagel and I've just reached a couple of pages before the following:
"...French emigres in Germany declared the Comte de Provence 'King Louis XVIII of France', and a week later in Vernoa, the Comte de Provence accepted the crown in exile..."
all kinds of characters wander in and out - if I do find brief mention of your ancestor I will alert you!

Lyn said...

How interesting to be so historically connected..and find authentic verification..
I think that only DNA would place me in a context!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Only believed to be the father of Jean Rivron? I thought it was an absolute certainty. Many years ago we did try to locate some French relations but found that Rivron is quite a ocmmon name in France.

Betsy said...

Wow...very impressive! And the document itself is beautiful..love the crest at the top and the lovely writing style.

L. D. Burgus said...

This is a whole new realm for me to see your ability to link to loyalty. Us folks in the prairie have forced ourselves into exile from our family trees.

tony said...

I Bet Nobody at the time realised how long lasting this Token was to become!

MuseSwings said...

What a fine document! A rich and interesting history - and a preserved one....sorry.. I am completely distracted here by my word verification: arsoning. Can arson be used as a verb? Here we go a-arsoning perhaps. But I digress. I'm off to find some matches or a lighter or something...

The Clever Pup said...

Tres interessant! Can you get a copy for your files?

willow said...

That is an amazing document. Exciting to have such a great family connection, Dominic.

John Hayes said...

Really amazing family history you're uncovering! Very much enjoying this.

Meri said...

Very interesting document to have as part of a family history.

Barry said...

The dates may not add up but the document is priceless! And amazing.

Besides who's going to question Louis addition?

the watercats said...

What a cool thing!... :-)

Alan Burnett said...

Such a rich vein of documentation. Wonderful stuff, I am so enjoying your contributions to Sepia Saturday.

PattyF said...

NOw that's cool!

Get Off My Lawn! said...

I thought this was going to involve an rpic car chase through San Fran. But it was even better. I am still envious you can trace back that far. Us north american european types are all descended from blackguards, mercenaries and politicians. It isn't pretty.

subby said...

Very interesting indeed, sir. Truly makes one wonder, yes?

patteran said...

Fascinating, Dominic. What else might you unearth in this backward trawling? As a humble Jones, I'm always envious of those who can locate their forbears via an unusual surname!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everybody.

Stephanie said...

Wow! Signed by Louis himself.

"Game Keeper" - I get a kick out the diverse job titles people had.