Friday, 8 January 2010

Little Whernside



On the way to the supermarket the other day, we stopped to take some photographs. This is Little Whernside: not to be confused with the famous Whernside, the highest hill in Yorkshire or, for that matter, the cloud behind it. "Whernside" simply means a hillside considered good for quarrying millstones, or "wherns".  There are four in the Yorkshire Dales: two more are concealed in the cloud-bank. One of the them, Great Whernside, is probably my favourite hill in the Dales (it's also the nearest to us of the bigger ones). The famous one is miles away, to the West.

I love it when the shapes of distant cloud-banks get all confused with the shapes of the hills, especially when the hills are covered in snow. Sometimes -but not here- it's hard to tell which are which.

To change subject entirely, the Guardian newspaper have just published a great short film about the sculptor, Terence Coventry.

14 comments:

Poet in Residence said...

That's a new one on me, although I've walked the Yorkshire 3-Peaks Route a couple of times; both times starting and finishing near Whernside at Ribblehead. I'm now out the door for a jog in the snow, currently falling at the same rate as it is on yer blog!

the watercats said...

It's an honour to live in the hills. Every day the "mountain" (more like large hill), sits next to us with a new outfit on. Sometimes she wears a magnificent hat, sometimes a veil, and sometimes she pretends to be a volcano. I too love it when the mountains create dopplegangers of cloud. It gives me a smug feeling, that only those who really know them, know which ones are real. beautiful picture :-)

Dave King said...

I agree with you about the mix of cloud and hill or when the clouds echo the shapes of the hills. Lovely image.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I know what you mean about confusing the hills with cloud. Sometimes I look at cloud from here and can imagine it to be a distant mountain range. I love the photograph - it epitomises Winter up here - and that view from our supermarket run is spectacular in all weathers, isn't it?

Elisabeth said...

Like a picture perfect postcard this one, or like a shot from a movie. It amazes me that you live so close to all this beauty and can film it en route to the supermarket.

John Hayes said...

Beatiful photo!

Gerry Boyd said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing this.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Lovely view, Dominic.

Lyn said...

What a cloud..definitely looks as if one can climb right in! And find...?

Rachel Fenton said...

I'd love hiking up that cloud! You could die looking at a view like that...the light makes me want to weep and I know it must have been more breathtaking in "real life"...I think the correct word is sublime but it doesn't sound right for how the view makes me feel...

Titus said...

Stunning photograph, and you are so right about the cloudhill confusions. The light is just beautiful.

Get Off My Lawn! said...

Makes me wish I could get there by road to take it in first hand.

patteran said...

What a spectacular piece of trompe a l'oeil. Beautiful.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everyone!