Sunday, 29 November 2009

Electric Sheep?

We wondered today, were we androids, dreaming, or has the tourist board started to deploy electric sheep round here to impress the tourists? You would think they could make the eyes more realistic (click to enlarge).



Seriously, it's been raining hard all night and all day, so we thought we'd go out and take some photographs. I drove up the dale (Wensleydale) as far as Aysgarth Falls, while Karen snapped away.

West Burton Falls usually looks something like this (well, without the icicles):



Today it looked like this:



Meanwhile, the trees in the woods were up to their ankles:

 

I'd just thought I'd  finished writing this when it occurred to me to go out into the lane outside our house and see what it was like. It's still raining, and the beck that runs alongside the lane is still rising. This is usually a lane, with a well behaved beck running down one side. Tonight it's all stream. We're very lucky that most people don't suffer the misery of having their houses flooded out round here - we just get to see water at it's most spectacular (well, for the UK).




Karen (walking up the lane in her wellies, above) has just started a new blog to go with her digital camera. She has put two more shots from our afternoon out on it here.

12 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

Would love to hear those falls.Wowza!

Dominic Rivron said...

Yes. They made a hell of noise. You could just feel the ground shuddering, too - always a sure sign of a decent waterfall.

Niamh B said...

Snazzy wellies, that is a really lovely picture,

John Hayes said...

Great pix, & especially the electric sheep (with apologies to Phillip K. Dick!)

The Weaver of Grass said...

If those are electric sheep then they must be static!
Like the waterfall pics and the shot of the lane. The field opposite our farm is a lake too.
Have just been over to Karen;s new blog at painted by the sun - lovely shots.

Poet in Residence said...

Are those things lambs or lamps?

Dominic, amazing monochrome photo of Martian surface on Astronomy Picture of the Day (via my Bard on the Run Link) -
you'll think it's Morecambe Bay mudflats.

Niamh B said...

by the way your title reminded me of this ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

Titus said...

Oo-er! (sheep and water levels).

Fast, snappy responsive blog now!

Golden West said...

That's an amazing waterfall!

Poetikat said...

Fabulous photos Dominic! I loved that "trees were up to their ankles".
I started thinking about Gary Numan when I read your title, but that was "Are FRIENDS Electric", wasn't it?

Dominic Rivron said...

Niamh B: Yes, they are the pride of Karen's welly collection.

John Hayes: Yes. As soon as the photo came on the screen I thought: PKD.

WG: Yes, there's been a lot of water about. Didn't think of going down your road with the camera. It was probably good.

PiR: Weird, aren't they.

Re the Mars photo: yes, and Huygens' Titan photos looked uncannily like the Yorkshire Dales.

Niamh: Thanks for the link. One of the weirdest YouTube videos I've ever seen.

Titus: Thanks for the feedback. It was all the little links, I think, to Digg and Stumbleon, etc, I'd put on. I took them off.

Golden West: It is. There are a few like that in the Dales. West Burton is one of my favourites.

Poetikat: thanks! I don't know the Gary Newman. Whitman wrote I sing the Body Electric. You've got me thinking what other titles there are with electricity in them now...)

Rachel Fenton said...

I've spent a good chink of my childhood in all of these places - have loads of very fond memories - but never saw so much rain!