Sunday, 6 September 2009

OK, Alex


A Short Story

I’d sat up late, as I did most nights. I’d slouch in the pilot’s chair in the dull glow of the red night-lights, watching the screen. Usually nothing happened. Now and again computer would flash up a line of text telling us where we were, or what we were passing, internal systems that would need servicing in the morning, and so on. It was warm (everywhere on the ship was warm), the effect was hypnotic, and hours passed like minutes. There was no need for me to be there, as the ship was well able to look after itself. It’s just the way I was then: a teenage insomniac...

The rest of this story can be read over at the online scifi short story magazine Nihilist Scifi.


submit to reddit

3 comments:

John Hayes said...

This comes to a really cool place--the narrator's voice & the computer's too carry the story along nicely. Good to see some good sci-fi!

Niamh B said...

Very nice Dominic, you are a creative cuthbert today!
Did you ever read Ender's game? If not you absolutely have to, your story reminds me of it a bit.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

JH: In that case, I think I'll have to try and come up with a bit of SF now and again.

NiambB: What a great expression! Did you make it up? If so, it should pass into common usage. "Creative Cuthbert" only got me 33 hits on Google.

I've not read Ender's Game, but I found a little bit of Orson Scott Card to read on the net and I think I see what you mean.