Friday, 18 September 2009

Dad's Photos


Ever since I began looking at John Hayes' series of posts based on his father's photographs, I've been meaning to dig out my own collection - of my father's photographs, that is. I have inherited a carousel packed with slides. A lot of them are of me and -don't worry- I'm not going to post all the inevitable baby-in-the bath pictures and suchlike. However, I can't avoid the fact that I keep popping up.

The one above is of me, climbing. It doesn't say where, but I would guess it was in Devon or Cornwall somewhere. The next is one of my favourites, a team of shed demolishers, an old man called Mr Woods with assorted male relations. It was taken, I think, in the early '60s:



Then there's my mum and I, on Dartmoor:


And finally, me (again) at one of my less-than-recent birthday parties. I have no recollection of that pink jelly thing. We lived in the country, in Lincolnshire. The baby, the older boy and his sister were all neighbours of ours. I do remember the girl, bouncing along on a seat on the back of her mother's bicycle singing She Loves You, Yea, Yea, Yea as her mother cycled past down the unmetalled track at the side of our house. The song had just come out and it must have been about the same time this photograph was taken.


My dad probably took that photograph with the Kodak Colorsnap 35 he bought around that time. It's sitting here beside me as I type. It came out in the late 50s and -for the benefit of any readers who are about my age- seems to be more-or-less the same as an Olympus Trip.






submit to reddit

14 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

The shed demolishers is a great photo and I believe the pink jelly thng that you can't remember looks suspiciously like a 'milk ' jelly,something that had been erased from my memory till now.

John Hayes said...

They're all great, but that shed demolishers one really has something about it. Glad my series inspired you (& thanks for the mention!); my dad also took slides, but I don't know where they've ended up.

John Hayes said...

Oh, yes--the pink thing does look scary!

Sandra Leigh said...

Was a milk jelly really all that bad? I tried jelly made with milk a couple of times when I was in Mexico, and rather enjoyed it. Maybe it's a girl thing.;>)

Rachel Fox said...

I wish I was sat at the table - eating my way through the lot! (the food not the children)
x

Dave King said...

One of the many good things about blogging - the way we can get sent down tracks we never otherwise would have taken. Most of us probably don't trawl through the family album as often as we should. Enjoyed your trawl very much.

Niamh B said...

That shed demolishers picture is like a painting, really special. And yeah the kids party pics are great too, reminds me of the good old days when the label less jumpers were in the majority.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I'll see if I can dig out a few more...

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ah - nostalgia, nostalgia, Dom - I remember it all as if it were yesterday! Yes the one of you climbing is somewhere in Cornwall (around Morwenstowe I think) - I had forgotten the one of us on the rock together somewhere near Dartmoor I think. The shed demolishers made way for the greenhouse, didn't they? And the party was, I think, maybe your third birthday - I remember the little viyella check shirt you were wearing - absolutely lovely to suddenly find these popping up on your blog - you have given your old mum a real treat - thank you. PS How do you transfer slides to your blog - I have millions of slides I would love to use.
PS The blancmange (or milk jelly as TFE calls it) looks much better than it tasted if I recall rightly.

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, I love old photos. The one of you and your mother on the rocks is wonderful.

I have a big stack of old photos but don't know who many of the people in them are; the generation who knew them is gone. It's wonderful to know the faces and story of a photograph, and I loved your tour today.

6p00d83451947569e2 said...

Yes, it's milk jelly, or blancmange, as your mum identifies it. Never thought I'd see evidence of that period confection again!

Great pics, Dominic, redolent of quieter times.

Rachel Fenton said...

Hullo, found you via Other Rachel's blog (Fox)...couldn't pass up an opportunity to reminisce about blancmange! I loved it as a kid...haven't tried it as an adult - that's the way these things should be!

the watercats said...

Ah..man!... I love photos.. you are so lucky to have a documentation of your childhood like this, and such touchingly gentle memories too :-)
Love the shed demolishers, photogenic faces seem to be running out now... cheers for sharing!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments.

WG: Transfer slides? I'll let you know and show you.

Susan: Thanks for that.

Dick, you suddenly seem to be appearing in code! :)

Rachel: You could always check out http://www.dessert-recipes.co.uk/DESSERT-RECIPE-blancmange-recipes.htm

watercats: Thanks. Funny how those shed men strike a nerve.