Friday, 17 July 2009

It's been a Year...

It's over a year since I started this blog. The exact day, July 11th, passed me by: I was too busy to notice.

My very first post was a poem and, since no-one was around to read it, I'll post it again, here:

For Now
At night I lie and rest
to say I sleep would be
to exaggerate, although
low voices on the radio
are just a sound
that means no more, no less
than the rise and fall
of her breath
or the birdsong
now the sun is rising

and I find myself thinking
(as if for the first time)
a time machine
would be a terrible thing


My next post, To the Summit of Kanchenjunga, was an essay on the Swallows and Amazons novels of Arthur Ransome. Ransome had been a friend of Lenin. The post speculated as to what extent Ransome's encounter with the Bolsheviks had shaped the stories. Did the larger-than-life Nancy, Captain of the Amazon pirates owe anything to Vladimir Illytch? We may never know, but it's fun to speculate. I can't think of many posts I've written since that I've enjoyed writing more than this one.

More prose and poetry followed. I also succumbed to the then-current craze of Wordle-making and, to celebrate a year of blogging, I've created a new one, based on more recent posts:

I enjoyed looking back through those early posts: the American teenager who met The Walrus, the 365 Day Project (an archive of outsider music), Mozart's musical dice game... There weren't that many people around to read them then so, if you like, you can read them all in the July 2008 archive here.



submit to reddit

13 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

Happy anniversary,Domonic,you sure got off to a flying start,that is a really fine poem, I like it a lot.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Apologies,another typo,I do actually know how to spell 'Dominic'!Did I ever mention that it is actually the second part part of my high- fallutin, double-barelled first name?

Susan at Stony River said...

Congratulations and happy blogiversary! A month ago or so I looked back over my whole blog too, and was surprised to see how it had developed over the months and found a direction out of the original mess. Your poem was a great start.

Sandra Leigh said...

I'm glad you've posted your poem again, Dominic, as I missed it the first time. I find it very touching. Its rhythm is like slow breathing. Well done.

Happy bloggiversary.

The Solitary Walker said...

Congratulations, Dominic! Yours is one of my favourite blogs. You always put a fresh slant on things.

John Hayes said...

Happy anniversary--you've made an excellent blog here. Really liked the poem-- very good parenthetical expression there.

Poetikat said...

Congratulations on your first year and may there be many more!
I really enjoyed the poem. As a chronic insomniac, it touched a number of chords for me.

Kat

Loren said...

Happy blogiversary, Dominic.

Thanks for reposting the poem.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Happy anniversary - and like the poem just as much this time round.

Lyn said...

It is worth publishing that poem again! And a year goes by too quickly..congrats!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these comments, everybody!

patteran said...

It's a fine poem that for me concludes before the final quatrain. I realise that without the clincher stanza it would be a different poem, but it bothers me a bit. I think it's the final two lines: they seem to shift the language register too abruptly from a quiet lyricism to something more commonplace.

I hope you don't mind the brief crit, Dominic. It's not something that tends to go on much between poetry blogs. But those of us who exchange visits regularly do so because of real mutual appreciation of what we know we'll find there.

The Ransome post is fascinating. I'd read of his friendship with Lenin, but had never followed it up. I don't think we have any Ransome in the house and I'm really motivated to Amazon the Swallows books.

Oh, and happy blogiversary (a word even clumsier than 'blog' itself!)

Dick

Dominic Rivron said...

patteran: Don't mind at all. Horses for courses, perhaps - I wanted it to change abruptly like that.

Be warned, Ransome can be addictive! My all time favourite of the S and A series is Swallowdale. It's quite a book. Someone (I forget who) even took it to the Desert Island (as in DI Discs) with them. (By the way, Morse code comes into the series more than once).