Friday, 1 May 2009

So that was April...


I took this photo of Hercules standing in for Atlas in Portmeirion a couple of weeks ago. Something about it seemed to capture the essence of this month, so I decided to post it. OK, so going on holiday is not exactly onerous: the main reason posts on this blog have hit a record low this month is that we spent almost half of it on holiday in Wales. However, since we got back I've had a lot to sort out, principally my guitar pupils' grade exam entries.

There's a lot to think about: not just the serious, musical aspects like will people have their pieces and scales ready on time but also the organisational side. This matters a lot: for example, making doubly sure names are spelt correctly and presented the way their owners want them to be on their certificates, not to mention making sure people know on what day and at what time they need to show up. Perhaps because I don't see organisation as being my strong point I try doubly hard to get these things right.

On top of that, Karen took a whole load of night photographs of Portmeirion while we were in Wales. You can see some of them on her photoblog, Taken with a Twist. We're currently trying to get them printed out and framed as she has an opportunity to exhibit them locally with a view to selling them. (Talking of pictures on blogs, a friend of ours, Denise, has just started blogging and has just put one of her quite wonderful paintings -one of Venice- on her blog).

I overheard the following the other day. It gave me reason to feel old:

First child: My dad's just bought a typewriter.

Second child: A typewriter! I know what that is! One of those funny things that goes click-click.


I now know what it must have felt like to witness the birth of the motor-car and the demise of the horse and cart.

3 comments:

kimber the wolfgrrrl said...

Y'know, I think I'm about ready for the return of the horse-and-cart.... any day now, that would be awesome. (I'm not particularly getting along with my car at the moment, and I'm just too darn pudgy to bike!)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Portmeirion is surreal and wierd and wonderful.Would love to go back-and bring a camera.Growing old is shite and what life is all about .the fun of youth lead us into a false sense of security and now we have to face up to realty.Poor us!

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for these.

Kimber: You could always sign up for the Amish - I don't think they ever gave up on the horse and cart in the first place. :)

TFE: I'd like to think that one compensation is that facing up to reality can lead to a heightening of intensity - but that's probably just "higher bullshit" on my part. It's hard to escape the fact that life is a shaggy dog story that always ends the same way. (I can't remember where I read that recently).