Saturday, 6 December 2008

North Wales Photographs

I thought I'd post some photographs for a change. While we were in North Wales this October (see A Postcard From Wales) we visited Parc Glynllifon. It's an interesting place. There is an arbouretum, which must be interesting for anyone interested in plants and trees (I like walking round them, but don't get that excited about their names). There is also the remains of a very early hydroelectric sawmill, complete with a room full of Frankenstein laboratory-style electrical apparatus. There's a great cafe too, which does a mean beans on toast. I took photographs of a couple of waterfalls while we were there:



I also find I've some photos of the Snowdon Marathon (see A Postcard From Wales again) which I took as the race was passing through Beddgelert, and which I thought The Poet-in-Residence (see Blogs that Keep me Reading) might appreciate. I think they work best when they're quite big. You can click on the images to enlarge them:

10 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Like the second of your photographs of waterfalls - quite an unusual one I thought. Looks a bit of a wet day for the marathon.

Sorlil said...

The waterfall pics are gorgeous, especially the first one, has a bit of a painting quality about it.

S.L. Corsua said...

Yes, such gorgeous shots of the waterfalls. Staring at them gives me a sense of floating. ;) The first shows a beautiful contrast -- the vertical lines (the falling water) vis-a-vis the white splash -- while the second one has a zen-like calming effect. Thank you for sharing these. Cheers.

Eclipse said...

Wow, I do love the waterfall. It's one of my favourites I think.

Dominic Rivron said...

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

Rachel Fox said...

Now I'm wondering what kind of mean those beans are...
x

Poet in Residence said...

Re Beddgelert, there's an interesting story about the dog. His name was Gelert. Do you know it? We used to go through there often, my da bent of the handlebars of the BSA, mum on the back, 4 kids crammed into the sidecar, AA men on yellow motorbikes slinging up salutes...

Dominic Rivron said...

Rachel: Mean as in very good (rather than in "bean (singular) on toast"). I was given a shovel-full of beans on inch-thick slices of wholemeal toast.

PiR: Is the Gelert story true? A folk-tale like it can be found in many places, apparently. There is a school of thought which says this particular version was dreamed up to attract tourists :)

AA salutes have a story to them too. I heard they were originally a coded message to AA members to warn them that a "speed cop" was lurking round the corner.

Dominic Rivron said...

PiR: I meant to add that my dad drove early Reliant three-wheelers (I used to sit on the spare wheel in the back). There was a tradition then for Reliant drivers to wave to each other. I seem to remember it persisted for some years.

Poet in Residence said...

Well according to my dad, Welsh as a daffodil, Beddgelert does mean Gelert's grave. So in this case the story could be true.
For the unitiated the story is that a man left his dog, Gelert, to guard the child. When the man came home he found the child bloody and dead and the dog covered in blood. He assumed the dog had killed the child. He shot the dog and buried it. When he came back in the house he found the body of a wolf, I think it was a wolf, which the dog Gelert had killed.
One of my sisters had a Reliant 3-wheeler for her first car. I remember it stunk to high heaven of petrol fumes. But nevertheless it got her to work and back. I'll salute her next time I see her.